Babbling on the Blue!

POSTED: OCTOBER 10, 2009
9:45PM
ONE BIG FIGHT! That has always been Ateneo’s chant in all it games in the UAAP. And last Thursday (October 8), game 3 of the 72nd season finals, ADMU did had their One big fight. Defense brought the trophy, same as it did last year. The team’s performance was far from what they showed in game 2. In game 3 they were aggressive, focused and showed a lot of heart. The Blue Eagles controlled the game right from the start. UE was forever trying to catch up but did not succeed. In the end, with the score 71-58, the Eagles took home their back to back trophy. A win most fitting as they are celebrating their 150th year foundation day. Every player played well on game 3. But I do have my favorites for this season. Eric Salamat took over the role of leader at the start of the season. His numbers were good, but most of all, he always makes sure that the team attains one goal; and that is to win the championship again. Since last year I did not like Rabah Al Hussaini much because he tends to be way over his head sometimes and loses his cool. He gets into fights which not only loses his composure but also the team’s. But last Thursday, he gained my admiration. His offense and defense were at its best. I even think it was one of UE’s topmost headache that day! Llagas was almost scoreless the entire game because Rabah sticks to him like a glue. Jai Reyes was so easy to like. Aside from being a cutie, he’s definitely an asset in offense, because of both his 3-point shooting and good assists. He is the silent type who doesn’t brag about his contributions to the team. He radiates all his energies into basketball. Jai you did a good job! You are graduating as one of the heroes of the team! My favorite player of the season is definitely Nonoy Baclao. He is the silent hero of the Blue Eagles. And I must say, the most consistent of all. He takes care of the defensive aspects of the game, which is their greatest asset, with his blocks and covers. He also contributed to offense, not necessarily in points but in assists and rebounds. But most of all, I like him because of his character. Nonoy is one of the most humble players I’ve seen in the UAAP for more than 10 years that I’ve been watching it. He is so unassuming. I’ve never seen him loose his cool even if being taunted. When heads heat up, he is the first one to break off the tension. His consistent performance is a big factor in their triumph. He is a great loss for the team now that he is graduating. But overall, Ateneo won because they are a team. Everybody did their part. Coach Norman Black was the heart and soul of this team and I salute him for his leadership. Coach, I’m looking forward to next year’s team. Whew, I can still feel my veins jumping in excitement every team as the season comes to an end. I’ll be looking forward to season 73 although I’ll be missing my favorite players. But hey, it only means it’s others’ time to shine! Oh yeah, hve you evr thought I’m into basketball? Hahaha.. well, now you know!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: