Farewell President Cory Aquino part 1

POSTED: AUGUST 4, 2009
12:48PM
Yesterday I became part of history. I missed several important events in our country such as EDSA 1 and EDSA 2 but this time, I told myself, I will be present. I will be part of the crowd. But this time, the movement will not be motivated by anger but by a lot of love… I wrote this yesterday and I decided to type it down just as I have written it yesterday in order to preserve the real feelings I had then.. It’s Monday but instead of being hooked up in my computer and analyzing numbers in my excel sheets, I am seated inside Mc Donald’s along Ayala Avenue with an empty cup of coffee at hand. Earlier, I attended the 7:15am mass with Sherwin at Greenbelt and proceeded here to wait. It was raining really hard then and I asked myself how the convoy will proceed with the heavy rains. But for a while it subsided and now wind blows hard outside. I can see leaves, and umbrellas flying around. Rain is starting to fall as well. It’s been like this since Saturday; sun shining, then suddenly heavy rains follow. Its like the clouds are trying to hide its sadness but succeeds in vain. I would like to believe that this is nature mourning over the death of a very special woman. Last Saturday, at 3:18am, former President Corazon Aquino passed away after 16 months of battling with colon cancer. Since that day, different tributes were given, stories exchanged, tears shed; we lost a mother, a leader, an icon. Her body lies at La Salle Greenhills as I am wrting this now but later it will be moved to Manila Cathedral and it will pass along Ayala Avenue on its way there, . Which is the reason why I’m here. I missed a day’s work to be show the former President, in my own littler way, how much I respect her. I want to see her, even just her coffin, to pay tribute to her. I want to say goodbye to her through my heart and through my eyes. Losing her still came as a shock, even though we’ve all known about her cancer since last year. Maybe because of my belief that all heroes, though battling tooth and nail, wins in the end. And I guess I was expecting that she will rise above this one again. But sad as I may be, I am thankful to God that she didn’t suffer long. She died in peace and with dignity. Growing up, I only remember her vividly as the President. I was barely three years old when she got elected. I’ve know the death of her husband, Ninoy, through media, books and my parents. But just hearing those made me fear martial law. Fortunately and unfortunately, our generations was not able to witness it. Fortunate for us since we didn’t have to go through all the harassment and fear instilled by the government. But unfortunate because since we grow up in democracy, we don’t get to appreciate and value it. I couldn’t imagine how life cane be without freedom. A dreadful life of not being able to freely express your opinion, to voice out your thought. During the martial law, any thing you say about the government can land you in jail. How lucky we are that we don’t get to experience it now and we owe it all to President Cory and Senator Ninoy. As I sit here, finishing this entry, my heart is full of prayer and gratitude to President Cory. You are the best example of how a Filipino should be. God bless you especially your family who would surely feel your absence the most. Farewell Tita Cory!

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments: